Thursday, December 28, 2006

What's Wrong with Barbie?

I am not sure which disturbs me worse, art imitating life or life imitating art(if one could call it art). Today I needed to take my daughter shoe shopping which is always an event within itself. She insisted on bringing her pink princess mafia purse (containing her Lava Lips lip gloss and her purple princess sunglasses) while sporting her faux fur lined pink Dora the Explorer vest with matching pants.

I tried to make a case for some sensible traditional black Mary Janes for church but I was completely shot down for some princess pink "Tommy Girl" (that's Tommy Hilfiger's branding apparently to the toddler market) retro Mary Janes and some hot pink leather boots with light up jewels. I guess this is one level better than neon orange Mary Jane Crocs with her current church wardrobe and at this point is not a battle worth fighting. To top it all off as I feel like the prince placing the glass sneaker on my daughter's foot, I can't help but to notice that my three-year old is wearing "Tink" socks (short for Tinkerbell), and probably "Belle" panties.

Upon leaving the scene, she points to something she sees in one of the storefront windows. "Look," she says, "It's Barbie!" I turn to see a full size cutout of Paris Hilton in a pink teddy, and I think to myself, "Yes, that is what's wrong with Barbie."

No comments:

Post a Comment